Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Reviewing February and moving on to March

Last night at the sorority meeting, the girls had a speaker and she talked about goal setting. She reminded me that the goals need to be SMART (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, and Time-Bound). When I was teaching, I used to set SMART goals for my class all the time so it makes sense that you can apply it to your own life. Her talk also reminded me that I needed to review the goals I set in February and set some March goals. I think all of my goals except #1 are SMART. I'd like to think I did rather well in most areas throughout February and am hoping to continue with some of them this month. So let's review!

February Goals Reviewed:
1. Look for a new job
  • I was looking. And even had some good things come from it. But the hunt continues.
2. Pay off one credit card
  • I'm about $200 away from paying one of them off. That will definitely be happening this month. 
3. Have 4 nights in the month where there is nothing planned (ideally one per week).
  • I'll give myself a C in this. I was busy. Last week was crazy busy. But I also spent last Friday shopping with my mom for new boots so I count that as having nothing planned. 
4. No soda for the entire month
  • I started off strong and then fell off the wagon. I've definitely cut back a lot and I think I only went to McDonalds once the entire month which is HUGE for me. It's a work in progress. 
5. Do not buy breakfast at any fast food place for the entire month
  • Same thing with the soda. I did really well the first 2 weeks and then found myself in the work cafeteria eating breakfast a few times. And had a few Taco Cabana runs. I'd give myself a C+ in this category. 
6. Only buy food in the work cafeteria once a week
  • With the exception of last week, I did awesome at this. But then I ran out of time to go grocery shopping so I had nothing to bring for lunch and had to eat in the cafeteria. 
7. Track my spending habits
  • I was awesome at this. I'll give myself an A+. I am definitely more aware of where my pennies are going and will definitely continue on with this. 
And now moving into March. March is going to be super busy with the rodeo in town. So I'm setting some very realistic goals for myself so I'm not setting myself up for failure. 
  1. Attempt the no soda thing from now on (I already failed if you include the first 4 days of March)
  2. Continue to track my spending habits
  3. Continue the job search
  4. Finish paying off the February credit card
  5. Read at least one fun book
  6. Bring my lunch at least 3 times a week (and since I bought my lunch yesterday and today, I guess I need to go to the store tonight!)

We'll see how it goes with it being such a crazy month! I'll check back in at the end of March for a little recap!

No comments: