Saturday, March 8, 2014

Throwing in the Towel

Sometimes, you just have to throw your hands up and walk away from some situations. And this past week, I finally realized I was in one of those situations. Remember this post about having too many friends???? Well this week, I finally realized that the guy who said he wanted to be friends was just too much for me to handle. And I have been confused with the situation ever since. He wanted to be friends yet his actions (mostly texts) said otherwise. I wasn't into this blurred line friendship and as one of my friends so eloquently put it- "we are at different places in our lives and I'm not sure what value as a friend he brings to the table." This is exactly how I started to feel. Every text he sent left me with that "ugh... what does he want now" feeling. And his late night texts were just annoying me. I finally realized that when you get annoyed at someone texting you, they probably shouldn't be part of your life. I want to be going somewhere and he just wants to have no expectations and float through life. So I told him that I didn't really think we were on the same page.

And then he called me judgmental. And couldn't back it up with any examples.

Now, I know that I can be judgmental in certain situations. Everyone can at some point in their life. But I think with him, I have been more than accommodating and open minded. I've listened to him vent about his crappy situation over and over again only to never have him ask me what's going on in my life. I realized that I knew so much about him and he knew very little about me. And to call someone you hardly know anything about judgmental is a really big insult. I try to be open minded and accepting of everyone.

And then all of a sudden the friendship just became a burden. So I did a friendship breakup. Do I feel bad? Yes. Am I upset? A little. Was it what is best for me? Yes. I came to the realization that I want and have real friends in my life. This particular individual can't be that for me right now. He's trying to rebuild himself and we are just at very different points in our lives. We crossed the line and neither of us can just take it back and be friends.

So I figured out the answer to my question. Yes, you can have too many friends. I'd rather have a few close friends that I can 100% trust with everything than a bunch of friends that I don't have the time or effort for. The moral of the story is to choose wisely.

And I'll leave you with this little gem. It's exactly what I'm wanting. 

 

No comments: