Sunday, April 14, 2013

Hollywood goes hiking

My last day in California was kind of unplanned. My training was supposed to last until 3 and my flight left at 6:45pm that night so my plan was just to head to the airport. BUT the training was over a noon so I had the whole afternoon to bum around LA before heading to the airport. I was staying in Pasadena, CA so I was really close to the first college I went to- Occidental College in Eagle Rock, CA. After graduating high school, I moved to Occidental for school and to play water polo. After a short time there, I realized California wasn't for me at that point in my life so I came home. But the school still holds a special place in my heart. Going back there and driving around the campus brought back all sorts of memories (good and bad). I think if I went there now, I would have do fine but at 18, it was a little much.
If this campus looks familiar, it may be because it was also where they filmed Beverly Hills 9021 The College Years. Every time I watch a rerun, I remember my college experience. 

The view coming down from the mountain leaving the college. 

After driving around the campus, I decided I really wanted to go see the Hollywood sign. I had gone the night before but it was getting dark already and even though I could see the sign, my pictures didn't show up so I wanted real pictures to complete my trip. There is one street in LA that gives you a direct view of the sign. If you drive up the street, the sign is right in front of you. And if you keep driving, it takes you into the Hollywood community and into the hills. The Hollywood sign was originally put up to identify the neighborhood below it. There are even the old gates at the entrance to the neighborhood. Now it has become this iconic symbol of LA and Hollywood but it wasn't originally put up for that purpose! 

After driving up as far as I could, I parked the car and decided I was going to hike up the rest of the mountain to get a better picture. There is a public park that you can go into to get to a spot where you get the good pictures. This is the view of the park-
And then the view of the sign from the mountain I was standing on. 
Well I guess that view wasn't good enough because I decided I wanted to get even closer. A bunch of people were hiking up a trail to get to the actual sign. I had some time and it was a nice day so I decided to try the hike. it couldn't be that far, right?!!?

Boy of boy was I wrong. It was a good hour hike. And I was not prepared for it at all. I had capri pants, a nice top, and ballet flats on. Not exactly hiking clothing. But I was determined. And when I got to the top, I wasn't disappointed. See in the picture above the tower looking power plant thing. That's where I hiked up to. The trail actually took us around the back side of the mountain and then to the sign. The sign is fenced off so you can only get so close. Here are a few pictures on the sign below me and the view of LA. I could have stayed up their all day. It was magical, relaxing, and so peaceful. 

But I was really thirsty and it was getting close to the time I needed to be at the airport. And with LA traffic, I knew it was going to take me a while to get there. So I hiked down the mountain (which was a lot easier than going up I might add), got in my car, and headed to the airport. On my way, I saw this place. I had never been to In-N-Out Burger but everyone raves about it. So I decided to get one last LA meal in. I would say that the burger was good but not all that. Definitely not the best burger I've ever had in my opinion but it was tasty.  
On the way to the airport, I also drove by this place. It's a famous LA hot dog place. There was a huge line. I wanted to stop but I was still eating my burger so I couldn't really justify getting a hot dog too. Maybe next time!
Finally, I got to the airport and boarded my plane. It was a fun 4 days and I was super sad to go home. The training was good and LA was amazing. There isn't much I don't like about LA but it was nice to get home and back to my real life. Until next time LA!!!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Hopefully one day I'll be able to visit! It looks like a beautiful place.