Monday, June 24, 2013

Adventures in cooking


This past Sunday my mom and I were debating on what to have for dinner. We went to the store and decided on fajitas. We got the met, sour cream, and tortillas and figured we had everything else at home (my mom loves to buy food so we very often have at least 2 of everything you would want to make). Well, when we got home, we realized that we didn't have any Mexican rice to go with the meal. I had my heart set on rice with this meal. I really wanted to make this rice from my friend Whitney's blog but we didn't have any cumin (which is a whole different story because my mom has every spice imaginable except for cumin apparently). So, I did what any resourceful, blogging, pinning person would do and hopped on pinterest. I found a recipe that only required the ingredients I had in the kitchen. You can find that recipe HERE. It was a super easy recipe and didn't really require a whole lot of effort. I would definitely make it again. The rice didn't have lot of spice in it though so next time I might cook it with a few slices of jalapeno to give it a little kick.

Here is how to make the rice-

First, you need these ingredients-
  • 1/2 cup rice 
  • 1 small tomato
  • 1/4 garlic clove
  • 1/4 onion (I used dried onions)
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tbsp. chicken bullion
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • About 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
Step 1: Place tomato, garlic clove, onion, and water in blender and mix.
Warning: the water splashed everywhere since I used a food processor instead.
I had to put a towel around the lid to keep it from spilling out. 
Step 2: Saute rice with the vegetable oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until the rice is light brown
Step 3: Pour your blended mixture into the sauce pan. Add salt and chicken bullion. Lightly stir.
Step 4: Cover & simmer until the liquids are evaporated.
Then enjoy!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

aw, I'm smiling that you were going to use my recipe! I actually made it tonight, haha. I'm going to try a few different variations of it, maybe this one too!