Monday, August 24, 2009

The Big Move and Nauvoo!

Wow! It has been a crazy 2 1/2 weeks! I have barely had time to breath much less blog. I started school today so, of course, instead of studying, I'm blogging.

First, the move! After packing the moving truck all day Thursday, we (meaning my parents and I), left Chicago on Friday morning August 7 and headed towards Nauvoo, Illinois. It was kind of on the way to Texas and I wanted to see it so we took a small detour. We got to Nauvoo about 3 pm, got checked into the hotel, and were able to walk around a little before dinner. We stayed at the Hotel Nauvoo in their cute little cottage. It was so nice because we basically had a 2 bedroom house for the 3 of us to enjoy.
Downtown Nauvoo-

This is the cottage we stayed in! So cute!

After dinner, we went to go see a Sunset show where the Missionaries performed a variety show with singing, dancing, and lots of laughter. We also got to see a singing group from BYU called Vocal Point. They are a group of college boys that sing acappella and they were fantastic. They even did Thriller!

Here are a few pictures of them singing!

Then we went over to the Temple to see what it looks like at night. It was beautiful! And you could really feel the Spirit!

The next morning, we went back to the Temple to see it during the day. We also went to the Nauvoo Visitors Center, learned about the history of Nauvoo, and toured some of the homes and places that were part of the old town. I wish we could have stayed longer but we had to hit the road to make our way down to Texas!

After the excitement of Nauvoo, we spent about 8 hours in the car driving. We made it to Arkansas that night. The next day, Sunday, we got up and hit the road pretty early. We accidentally took a wrong turn by Little Rock and spent 3 hours touring through central Arkansas. It took us way out of the way and we ended up getting to Houston really late (11:30 pm) on Sunday night. All added up, we spent about 15 hours driving on Sunday. It was the longest day ever!

After resting for about 12 hours at the hotel, Monday morning came and it was time to unload. Monday was spent unloading, Tuesday was spent unpacking and hanging out with my parents, and then I took them to the airport on Wednesday morning. It was a non-stop week from start to finish!

Now that I'm settled in and have started school, I am starting to get into a routine. I'm not sure what I'll have to blog about the next few days because basically all I do is go to school and study. I'm sure I'll think of something though!


Julia said...

congrats Catherine! It sounds like things are going is school? good luck!

Kelli said...

I'm so glad you made it! Hope school is going well. We miss you!

The McLane Blog Page: said...

AH!!! I'm so excited for you!!! Good luck with school!!!!