Friday, January 1, 2010

The completion of a decade and resolutions

With the end of the decade, I've been reminiscing about the past 10 years and all the things that have happened. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was celebrating the start of the year 2000 and now it is 2010. Wow, how time flies! I have learned so much and grown in so many ways in the past 10 years.
In the past 10 years, I have:
*Earned a bachelors degree
*Earned a masters degree
*Joined a sorority
*Experienced 9/11 (I still remember where I was and what I was doing on that day)
*Ended a 5 year long relationship (where I learned a lot about myself)
*Gotten a REAL job teaching
*Moved to Chicago
*Quit my job
*Moved to Houston
*Lived more than 30 minutes away from my parents for the first time ever
*Started law school
*Learned to stand on my own 2 feet and become more self-reliant
*Learned that no matter how hard you try to plan things and stick to a timeline, things don't always go as planned (and sometimes its for the better)
*Strengthened my faith and testimony
*Made lots of new friends

Now on to 2009! I had so much going on and life changed quite a bit. Here is a recap of all the fun things that happened this past year.
*Started a blog
*Got into law school
*Lost 20 pounds!
*Spent Spring Break in Houston
*Quit my job teaching (that was very hard)
*Went to New York City and Pennsylvania for summer vacation
*Taught 3 weeks of sumer school
*Moved to Houston for school
*Started law school
*Started living the life of a student again (and it is rough)
*Celebrated my birthday with 2 of my closest friends
*Made it through finals and my first semester of law school
*Traveled for the first time during the holidays
*Celebrated Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family and friends
*And rang in the New Year with one of my best friends

And now to the resolutions. I usually don't make resolutions because I simply have a hard time keeping them. But this past semester was exceptionally hard for me because I had no routine. With the chaos of law school, I found myself simply doing whatever I could to get by and somehow it worked for me. However, I know myself well enough to know that I can't go the next 3 years like that. So, here are my resolutions to help me stay sane for the upcoming year. They may be a little ambitious but I always think big. I plan to revisit these resolutions each month to see how things are going and keep a check on myself. We'll see how well I did at the end of the year!

1. Work out at least 3 days each week (this one will start when I get back to Houston)
2. Read at least 1 non-law school book a month
3. Pay off one of my credit cards and stick to my budget
4. Continue to strengthen my faith by praying more, reading scriptures, and going to church.
5. Eat less fast food and cook more (that will for sure help with the whole budget thing)
6. Try to eat a salad 5 out of 7 days each week (if I stick to this, that will be 260 salads in one year!)

Yay for 2010!

1 comment:

The McLane Blog Page: said...

you rock! Great resolutions list!! PS- let's do lunch this week before you leave. I'll call or text tomorrow!